Contrary to common misconceptions, plastic surgery procedures are growing within the male demographic, some becoming more prevalent than others, and facial implants happens to be one of them.
Dr. Romano has performed these procedures on both men and women, but has recently seen more frequency of requests from men. “Most of my male patients have come to our facility with insecurities about their face, a “weak”-appearing chin and flat elongated facial features”.
Unfortunately the face isn’t a part of the body that can be improved naturally through exercise or weight gain or loss, thus patients who are dissatisfied with their profile or facial fullness often request chin or cheek enhancement surgery through implants. Let’s first discuss the chin, the chin is a prominent facial feature, thus individuals who suffer from a small chin may feel that their face becomes an extension of their lower jaw and neck giving them a sagging facial expression.
In order to define their face Dr. Romano can provide one of the following chin enhancement procedures:
- Chin Implants– an anatomically shaped implant will be placed and fitted over the bone to match a patient’s existing anatomy. Implants come in a variety of materials, shapes and sizes to allow for customization and to create a natural appearance.
- Fat Grafting- is a precise art in which fat is harvested from other areas of the body and prepared to re-inject into desired areas to create a fuller and more youthful look. Through micro-fat grafting the fat removal process utilizes low-vacuum liposuction and the use of a thin, delicate, non-traumatic cannula to protect the living fat cells. After purification they are injected through incisions into the tissue.
- Genioplasty- a more thorough surgical procedure that requires the cutting and re-positioning of bones to create the more prominent look of the chin. Since this surgery uses the patient’s actual bones and screws it does not require the use of an implant.
For patients that suffer from flat, sunken, and elongated facial features cheek enhancement surgery may be considered to create chiseled features and a more sleek and youthful appearance. The anatomy of the cheek is fairly straightforward. There is the underlying cheekbone that defines the foundation. Common techniques used to improve the cheek area are:
- Cheek Implants: These implants are “anatomic” in shape and fit over the cheekbone creating a replica of your existing anatomy.
- Fat grafting: This technique is especially useful if you don’t need much enhancement and need to be artistic in the distribution.
- Injectables: Restylane, Perlane, and other products can be injected into this area and are very safe. You see your result immediately.
- Malarplasty: This procedures requires cutting of the bone, repositioning it with screws, and is usually done only for traumatic deformities.
Dr. James Romano is a highly skilled plastic surgeon who is only 1 of 4 doctors in the San Francisco area that has received the prestigious Top Doctor Award by Castle Connolly. He is specialized in all facets of plastic surgery and works with clients to personalize all levels of care before and after surgery. If you are looking to improve your appearance or are interested in more information on procedures, contact his office for a consultation.