Textural irregularities may present in any number of various stages and be caused by a number of different conditions. Irregularities in the skin surface may be very mild to very severe. What we are focusing on is patients who have any degree of skin texture irregularity other than perfectly smooth skin.
In your examination there may be any degree of textural irregularity. This may range from very mild to very severe. In its mildest form there may be patchy swollen areas due to fluid retention or blocked lymph channels. The next stage up is large pores and swelling around the pores. Both of these conditions are due to congested and clogged pores and poor circulation. They are also due to some inflammation in the pores, along with bacteria and a build-up of dead skin cells. The next stage up is the irregularity that is often seen with mild acne and breakouts that leaves some scars below the skin surface, just enough to see a mild bump or dent. The most severe form of textural irregularity is the more advanced acne scars with actual scar tissue and deep “ice pick” indentations. All of these forms can be treated, and you can expect improvement. Your improvement will depend on the degree of irregularity, the program we use, and your time frame.
Program Basics and Overview
This is the basic outline for textural irregularities. It relies on the principles of cleaning out clogged pores; eliminating infection and inflammation; and removing the buildup of dead, thick skin surface cells. It will be modified according to your expectations, history, anatomy, and lifestyle.
- Deep-Cleansing Peels. This is mostly to exfoliate the upper skin layers, especially those cells that stick and clog the pores, if this is a factor in your skin texture. The peel reduces the pore size, allows for better lymph flow with less swelling, and prepares the skin for better penetration of products. It also smoothes fine lines, tightens the skin, and removes some of the superficial pigmentation.
- Skin Care Products. This is the combination of Retin-A, hydroquinone, and glycolic acid that is highly customized to your skin and lifestyle and very effective at removing the upper skin cells, increasing collagen and elastic fibers and smoothing the skin.
- Repeat chemical peels. The peel is intensified to the next level to remove more of the skin and provide further smoothing.
- Continue and adjust products.
- Maintenance. Continue skin care products, but on a much less intense level—just enough to maintain your results and peels as indicated at the frequency that will allow you to always have smooth, firm, non-pigmented skin.